When I was in elementary school jumping rope at recess was the highlight of almost every day. I loved double Dutch and I loved playing rhyming games while we jumped. Here are a few Jump Rope Jingles we sang as kids.
- Apartment for rent, inquire within, when (1st jumper) moves out, let (next jumper) move in.
- Bubble gum, bubble gum, chew and blow;
Bubble gum, bubble gum scrape your toe,
Bubble gum, bubble gum tastes so sweet,
Get that bubble gum off your feet.
- Cookies, candy in a dish;
How many pieces do you wish? 1, 2, 3, 4, ….. (Continue counting until the jumper messes up)
- Early in the morning, about eight o’clock,
What should I hear but the postman’s knock.
Up jumps (jumper’s name) to open the door,
How many letters did she find on the floor? A, B, C, D, . (Continue until the jumper messes up)
- Mabel, Mabel, set the table,
Just as fast as you are able.
Don’t forget the salt, sugar, vinegar, mustard, and RED-HOT PEPPER (begin jumping as fast as possible at red-hot pepper until the jumper messes up)
- Down by the river, down by the sea,
(jumper’s name) broke a bottle and blamed it on me.
I told ma, ma told pa,
(jumper’s name) got a spanking so ha ha ha
How many spankings did (jumper’s name) get? 1, 2, 3, 4,.. (Continue counting until the jumper messes up)
- Apples, peaches, pears and plums
Tell me when your birthday comes,
(Start jumping really fast “peppers” and say the months of the year trying to make it until the month of your birthday.)
- Cinderella, dressed in yellow,
Went upstairs to kiss a fellow,
Made a mistake and kissed a snake,
How many doctors did it take? 1, 2, 3, 4,.. (Continue counting until the jumper messes up)
- George Washington, never told a lie.
Till he ran around the corner (Jumper runs out and around one turner then jumps back in)
And stole a Cherry Pie,
How many cherries were in that pie? 1, 2, 3, 4,.. (Continue counting until the jumper messes up)
- Last night, night before, my boyfriend took me to the candy store. (on the word ‘store’ jumper turns around to face the opposite directions)
He bought me ice cream, he bought me cake.
He brought me home with a belly ache. (jumper turns back to face the opposite direction)
Mamma, Mamma, I feel sick.
Call the doctor quick quick quick! (jumper jumps on one foot with each word “quick”)
Doctor, Doctor will I die?
Close your eyes and count to five. (jumper closes eyes and counts, running out at 5)
I’m still alive on channel 5
- School, school the golden rule, spell your name to go to school (Jumper runs in and jumps while spelling their name. Jumper then runs around and reenters jumping once while saying “kindergarten” then runs out and around to the back of the line next time moving up to “first grade”. A persons turn ends when they mess up, the first to get to 12th grade wins.)
- Strawberry shortcake, huckleberry pie
Who’s gonna be your lucky guy?
A, B, C, D, . (Continue until the jumper messes up. Then think of a boy whose name starts with the letter the jumper messed up on. )
- Teddy bear, teddy bear, turn around
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, touch the ground,
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, tie your shoe
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, that will do!
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, go upstairs,
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear say your prayers.
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, turn out the lights,
Teddy Bear Teddy Bear, Say Good-Night!
- Texico, Texico, Texico (Turners swing the rope back and forth, not going around)
Over the hills to Mexico (Turner begins swinging the rope all the way around)
Where the Spanish dancers do the kicks, the kicks (Jumper does kicks)
Where the Spanish dancers do the splits, the splits (Jumper jumps with legs apart)
Where the Spanish dancers twirl around, around (Jumper twirls)
Where the Spanish dancers jump up and down, up and down (Jumper jumps high)
Where the Spanish dancers get out of town (Jumper runs out)
- Crazy 8’s (ALL TIME FAVORITE!)
(Works great with a lot of kids)
Kids all line up, turners begin and each kid runs in, jumps once and runs out. The line leader alternates going behind each turner creating a figure 8. If someone messes up they are out until a winner has been established. OR count each time a jump is landed and try to beat your highest number, starting over when someone messes up.
J5 is finally getting old enough to be a good jumper. I am anxious for the snow to melt so we can get back outside!